For the Media

Media Request

Please submit your questions. A University Communications team member will be in touch.

Submit media questions

News Releases

Read the latest news release at

Speakers Bureau

Are you interested in engaging a member of Appalachian's faculty or staff for a news media interview or a speaking engagement? Find speakers bureau members’ biographies, list of topics they can discuss, links to their research and more.

Search the database

Stock Images

aerial campus view

Contact University Communications at with specific requests or browse available images for download.

Images for download

Film, Photography and Video Guidelines

News photography and videotaping is generally permitted in outdoor, public areas of campus as long as the story pertains to or involves the university or a member of the university community.

Special permission to film for daily news stories and events is not typically required in common outdoor areas on campus. However, it is advised to contact University Communications at 828-262-6156 or We will alert the appropriate units on campus (i.e. University Police) and in some cases can assist with parking needs.

Common areas in campus buildings, such as lobbies, are considered public space and permission is not required for news photography or videography, although it is suggested.

When permission is required

Permission to shoot in interior, non-public spaces is required in all circumstances. This includes residence halls, dining areas, classrooms, laboratories, offices and research facilities.

Permission also is required to take photos or video in individual offices or workspace.

Classrooms generally are not open to the public or to the media while class is in session. Individual professors may grant media access to class sessions. Contact University Communications at 828-262-6156 or with your request.

Emergency situations

During critical incidents or emergencies requiring police or fire response, access to areas usually open to media may be limited. Media must follow guidelines provided at the site of the incident.

Commercial Photography/Videography

Filming on campus is considered a use of university facilities, and as such, is subject to the facilities use policy. For a copy of documents that must be completed and approved before any commercial photography, filmmaking or video project on campus, contact University Communications at 828-262-6156 or for an Application for Photography, Motion Picture, Video and Television Permit.

If the permit is approved, a completed and approved Film Location Agreement and License to Use Film, Video, Photo or Other Images will also be required.

Commercial photographers who wish to take and sell photos or video of campus landmarks and buildings must be licensed by the university. Contact University Communications at 828-262-6156 or and we will assist in making arrangements with the university's licensing coordinator.